2016 has been a year that has most people running fast and furious out of and into 2017. Between the losses, election and personal issues (let's face it, those are never ending) we. are. over. it. With that said, there have been some good, if not great moments that have come from 2016. Here, we share the quotes and moments that summarize the Best of 2016 according to Teddies for Bettys. Because if we can't end this year on a positive note, we might as well end it all...
1. Texas Mom, Candace Payne stole our hearts with her brutal honesty and laugh when she went viral in her Chewbacca mask.
“I’d like to say that I bought this [mask] for my son that would really, really want it — and let’s be honest, he’ll probably [confiscate] it from me. However, this is mine. When it’s said and done, at the end of the day, this is mine that I bought, and I’m gonna keep it for my own.”
2. For those of us that have fallen into the trap of 'Netflix and Chill' (chill being literal and not slang for sexy-time), we were ALL obsessed with Stranger Things. If you haven't seen it, stop reading this and go watch it. Grab the lego's now. Don't ask.
3. Beyonce drops her album Lemondade and empowers women all over. with lyrics that sent us looking for Becky, slaying, getting in formation and considering Red Lobster for the first time, ever, we were swimming in Lemonade. But more than that, the hour long music video was a journey that had most of us watching and re-watching finding strength through her journey.
NPR says it best here;
“With this album, Beyoncé is telling us that she’s made it this far in spite of the system in place; you know — the overtly sexist, subtly racist one. She was served lemons. And she made the most fire, refreshing, delectable, thirst-quenching lemonade ever known to man. Actually, scratch that — ever known to woman.”
4. Okay, okay, okay. We are not huge baseball fans, but when you have Bill Murray singing 'Take Me Out To The Ball Game' at the World Series, you can't help but get all the nostalgic feels and indulge in hot dogs. "Don't SAY IT! SPAY IT!!" Also a great reminder that a losing streak doesn't last forever ;)
5. Ashley Graham graces the cover of Sports Illustrated. Bear in mind, it was only 6 years ago that her lingerie ad with Lane Bryant was denied play by ABC because she was deemed too big (and beautiful). It's refreshing that women as a whole can breathe a little deeper and know that we are not constantly being 'sized up'. You know what they say, "if you got it, flaunt it!"
6. Leonardo DiCaprio has been winning our hearts for years and years, but this year he finally won the hearts with his role in The Revenant and took home his first Oscar. After thanking everyone who played a part in his success he reminds us not to over look the harsh reality of Climate Change. He has been a champion of Global Warming awareness and we applaud him for using his voice to help change things for the better.
7. DAMN DANIEL!!
8. President Obama: "Whether your chosen candidates win or lose tonight, let's all agree, not only to stay engaged, but to push ourselves to do even better," he said.
followed with the best "no matter what happens, the sun will rise in the morning."
There you have it Bettys. Our Best of 2016. What were some of your best moments?