I’m making some suggestions for you this year for Valentine’s Day. Not for any other reason than I’m a gift loving girl and I’m convinced that I have some good ideas. PLUS. You all know it’s my birthday so I’ve got this day wired.
I was born to.
1. Go beyond chocolates. Does your Valentine have a favorite dessert? Have that ready with coffee for breakfast. Start the day with a little sugar.
2. Be present with each other. Go for a walk. Make eye contact. Hold hands. Sit on a bench. Sit in the grass. Soak in your surroundings and have small talk. Adoration goes a long way.
3. Flowers. Yes. We say we don’t want them this one day of the year, but if you don’t get them we will feel sad. We will. Deep down. We all want flowers everyday, but especially on this day. If you don’t already have a habit of sending flowers this is your day to shine. There is a synergetic, blissful moment when the delivery man comes in, you look up, hold your breath a little, make eye contact, (everyone in the room is watching) and he hands you your flowers. The only thing better is you delivering them to your Valentine’s desk yourself.
4. Colour Me Good/ Ryan Gosling Edition. Don’t kid yourself. This little book is packed with greatness. You will knock her socks off for admitting that Ryan Gosling is America’s Sweetheart and you would fancy nothing more than to color his abs in with her.
5. Cooking. Maybe it’s lessons. Maybe it’s the two of you and some recipes in the kitchen at home. What it definitely is, is you two getting creative and sexy with some of your favorite foods. Oh my god. Do Fondue. Please. Lets bring back fondue this year. Feed each other. Lick your fingers. Talk dirty about the dip.
6. Lingerie. Whatever you do here, be sure it’s something for BOTH of you. Something to be enjoyed not just one night a year…and please. For me. For you. For Valentine’s Day. For the entire world. Don’t get anything cheap. It just leaves a bad impression. Keep it classy.
7. Jewelry. Refer to #6
8. Valentine’s Day Cards. Hmmmmm. Let’s be creative with this. Maybe not a hallmark card but lipstick on the mirror or your tummy. Better yet, wake them with you writing your love letter across their stomach. That’s what I’m talking about. Or refer to #1 and get a tube of icing….
9. Spa. Massage. Relax. Unwind. I know. Same ol’ same ol’. Try this approach. Call your Valentine ahead of time and say, “I’m not sure how you feel about this, but I feel like, you know, with this love of ours being so grand and energetic, we need to relax a little. Would you be open to getting a massage?”
10. Sweet Something’s. Tell your Valentine they hung the moon. They are the slap to your jack. The butter to your toast. The bee’s knees. The zing to your zang. Don’t let them doubt for one minute, they are the reason Valentine’s Day and romance exist.
Love should be exploited everyday, all day. We ALL know it comes and goes. It has its ups and downs. When it’s good, it’s sooo good. Make a ruckus with it y’all.